Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Berkeley Library could have ratted me out

The year I dropped out of the 5th grade and pursued a life of lawlessness on the streets of Berkeley with another kid until he got snared and I was alone was 1975. I wasn't sure where I was going with that sentance, 1975.

I actually was the one who was led astray by another kid that year. Alan became my friend at school and suggested that we just ditch one day and we just got into the habit. We began to feel like no one was even paying attention until one day Alan got busted when the school contacted his single father. I could have been busted too but my mother had lied about her residence to prevent me from being schooled in our rightful district and they could not find her. Alan pointed out the situation I was in and was jealous.

Alan did a lot of leading while we were together since he had some good suggestions like hanging around the labs at the University and watching the doctors experiment on animals.

After the exposure I took to spending much of my time at the public library in Berkeley where I found another friend. He was in some sort of expensive private school and was there to do his research. His assignment was devising a method to cheaply desalinate sea water. He explained all his theories and discussed their pros and cons with me while I read books about giants and ghosts.

No comments: